Skip to main content

GrandMother's House

What can I say? I love good country cooking and GrandMother's House just went to the top of my list. It's located in Owens Crosss Roads in a little house that any Grandmother could call home. It's off the beaten path but easy to find. We were greeted by a kind, older gentleman and were sat in the front dining room. Our lovely waitress was welcoming and just what you would expect. Service here is nothing but down home friendly.  I had Country Fried Steak with Speckeled Butter Beans, Creamed Potatoes and Fried Okra. I couldn't smack my momma so I smacked my husband! The steak had a perfect scald on it and the creamed potatoes reminded me of my grandmother's cooking. The okra was breaded perfectly and the beans were delicious. Hubby had Chicken n' Dupplins with Fried Okra, Lima Beans and Cucumber Salad. He was in heaven. We hardly spoke during our meal except to tell each other how good the food was. I can't wait to go back!! You have to try this restaurant. 

GrandMother's House
3980 Old HWY 431 S
Owens Cross Roads, Al 35763
www.grandmothershouse.biz
Lunch: Wednesday- Sunday 11-2
Dinner: Friday- Saturday 5-8:30


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walton's Southern Table

This new restaurant in the Former Ruby Tuesday at 4901 Whitesburg Drive is a down home cooking kind of place. The decor is cheery and the friendly staff makes it a joy. Highlights are the fried okra and fried chicken that both have a magnificent scald on them. I also had the broccoli salad, divine hashbrown casserole and spinach. It was delicious however I would skip the spinach. Not much flavor and seems thawed from frozen. Hubby loved the chicken and massages potatoes. We will for sure be regulars and recommend a trip there for an affordable and delicious southern dinner!

Chipotle Mexican Grill **

Seems I'm on a Mexican kick! Chipotle Mexican Grill is located next to Earth Fare on University Drive. The decor is simple and the music is hip. I have heard great things about Chipotle from several friends and was very excited when one opened here recently. They use sustainable sourced ingredients and all their meat has no added hormones or antibiotics. It's the way food should be produced and prepared. I must say that I was very disappointed with our visit. The service was less than stellar with trash bins overflowing with messy tables and beverage area. The folks behind the counter were more involved with their own conversations and being snarky with one another. They just opened so they were very busy but so are a lot of places. I had a braised carnitas burrito bowl and Hubby had the barbacoa burrito. All I can say was that it wasn't the worst food I've ever had. The meat lacked flavor and the rice had several bits of uncooked pieces. We left a little sad and cravin